Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Solar Panel Install



In the past couple days I have received the Sunwize 65 watt solar panel, Ganz solar charger, Ganz remote display panel and the Soneil 48 volt DC charger.  The only items that are left outstanding are the 12 volt AGM batteries, the power hub and the motor controller which shipped today.

Mother nature gave us the gift of large quantities of rain today, making it a great day to work in the shop, installing and testing the new solar system.




Solar Panel Mount
Mounting post located at bottom corner of solar module
My first task was to install the solar panel on the top of the cargo lid.  I used some 1 1/2" #12 machine screws and a nut to create a secure mounting stud and then pushed some rubber pads on to the stud that created an excellent mounting surface.  It is my understanding that heat can limit the solar panels ability to produce power, my intentions were to allow air flow under the panel to let out heat and moisture.  Some 3M 4000 sealant was used on each mounting pad before the final mount was made.

Before permanently mounting the solar panel, I had to make preparations for electrical connections to my solar charge controller.  My expected current from the solar panel is under 4.5 amps however to insure that I had no voltage loss, I used some #10 tinned, marine grade wire to connect between the solar module and the solar charger. 

A water tight seal was needed on the top of the cargo lid so that the electronics and my work gear stays dry.  I used a marine clam connection for the wire penetrations and mounted it deep under the solar panel. 
Solar panel standing upright before install
Electrical seal on cargo lid

Ganz remote charging display
Charge Controller
 After all of my electrical connections were complete, the testing went very well.  The Ganz charger display panel measured the voltage from both battery banks and also the voltage off the solar panel.  Even with the current conditions, cloudy and rain, the solar panel was able to provide 18.7 volts to the charge controller and charge the batteries.

I am very impressed with the Ganz system, it is able to automatically charge two banks of batteries and select the bank that needs it the most.  It will show amp hour charge, amp hour draw and ambient temperature.  The green light at the top of the panel indicates charging condition and an error light is located to the right.  Installation was a breeze and I could use and understand the display panel without the need for instructions. 


Next I will make a dash panel that will contain the solar display, power switch, speedometer, etc.  The rear power hub should have shipped by now and will make an update once I get it installed.  Until then, lets change the world one mind at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment