Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Speed Test

Today I had the chance to take the WattCycle out on the road and see what she would do.  I had to make a quick run down to the local Radio Shack to pick up the needed parts to repair the inoperative 110v inverter, just the excuse needed to take it for a quick spin.  For my first test, I loaded most of my important tools and test equipment, these add about 200 lbs to the cargo box.  I have found that the bike feels more stable with the added weight.

While out on the road, I was hoping to get a good video, monitor amperage draw and compare it to speed.  I was unable to get any useful video and monitoring amperage was impossible, I needed both hands on the handlebars, brakes and throttle.  Future additions to the bike will be voltage and amperage monitoring, lighting and a keyed power switch.

I did get a good feel for the speed that can be produced.  When on a straight path, the bike easily accelerated, even with the weight that I had loaded in the cargo box.  Zero to twenty was a breeze and accomplished in a matter of a few seconds, however once the bike got over 15 mph or so it would feel a bit squirrelly.  My top speed according to the GPS was 21.9 mph, a speed I would not be comfortable maintaining unless I installed a larger steering stabilizer under the cargo box.  I was comfortable keeping 12-18 mph and think that most of the time that should be enough speed for my taste.


Inverter Repair and Install

When I returned to the shop, I was able to repair the inverter that did not work for me yesterday.  I was lucky to find a bad resistor and fuse on the internal circuit card, both easily replaced with a soldering iron and some patience.  This repair made my day, I had no desire to purchase another inverter for this project.

Once installed, the inverter now supplies 1000 watts of  power to my 48v charging system from the dual AGM batteries.  I will also use this power, to run power tools in case I am located in a remote location.


A battery selector switch allows me to shut down 12 volt power, isolate one AGM battery or combine both for more amp hours.  The solar panel on the cargo lid keeps the AGM batteries charged, hoping that I can store enough energy during the day, to either charge at the job sites or at night in the shop.  This should keep the WattCycle completely off the grid if my plan works.

One slight hiccup today was the flat front tire that greeted me after the initial ride.  It seems that I must have hit something sharp, puncturing a wonderful little hole in the tube.  It was a great opportunity to learn how easy it is to change the tube in the front tires.  Due to the design of the BoxCycle, the front rims are not enclosed by a fork assembly, changing a tire has never been easier.

Now that the tire is changed and electrical system fully functional, it is time to put it to work. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi - great to see another Christiania being converted to electric power! The solar charging addition is very cool - I was thinking that charging the batteries from a solar panel at home would be good but never thought about putting all the various components on the trike as you have done. Love your work!

    If you look through my blog you will see how I converted to a rear derailleur which might be useful if you decide you need more then one gear even with the motor.

    ReplyDelete