Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dashboard

Watts Up had another very successful, emissions free, electric day.  I had the chance to ride farther and harder than I have done in the past, pushing the batteries and charging system to the limit.  Trips to marinas, vendors and even a trip to the bank and grocery store before my day was done still left me with enough power to get back home.  Never was I without power even when I put another 60 lbs of groceries in the cargo box.  After leaving the grocery store, I had to motor into a 15 mph wind with additional weight of goods.  I noted that my power consumption was 20 - 25 amps while loaded down and heading into a stiff wind.

While waiting for a left turn signal at an intersection, a trucker asked me "You got a motor in that thing?".   When I replied yes, his response was, "Thought so, you was going too damn fast!".

The New Dash
My mission tonight, once my day was done, was to make a dashboard for all the metering devices and power switches that the cargo bike needed.  The project started as just a prototype but turned into the actual dash once I saw how easily it was coming together.  With some scrap 1/2" birch plywood that I had in the shop, I was able to come up with a basic dash that would accept all the gauges and switches that I had anticipated.  The dash would be installed just forward of the handlebars and just behind the solar panel located on the cargo lid.

I have installed a main power switch on the far left, the Ganz solar charge controls, power meter and a light switch on the far right.

Watt's Up Meter
I was needing to monitor voltage and amperage consumption on the 48 volt propulsion system, something that would act as a fuel gauge and tachometer that you would find on a typical automobile.  I was searching online for digital or analog gauges when I stumbled across the Watt's Up Meter.

OK, what are the chances that Watts Up Marine would find a voltage/amperage meter that is called the Watt's Up Meter?  How could I say no to such a purchase?  It turned out to be a very successful find. 

This device was designed for radio controlled electric cars, planes and boats but has some very high voltage and amperage spec's.  I was nervous at first, worrying about the amperage demand that I needed to run the power hub.  The Watt's Up Meter is rated for up to 60 volts and can handle up to 100 amps of current draw.  The WattCycle is rated for a maximum of  30 amps at 48 volts, the new meter should be more than I need.  The display reads amperage draw, battery voltage, amp hours consumed,  peak amps, watts and watt hours.

The only complaints that I have with the Watt's Up Meter is the size of wire and length of wire that they supply.  I have wired the WattCycle with 10 AWG wire to handle the 30-40 peak amps that the hub will be drawing, however the Watt's Up Meter comes standard with 14 AWG.  To me this looks like a weak link in my chain.  The length of the standard source/load wires are only about 6" long, you do not get many chances to make waterproof connections without running out of wire leads.

I now have the beginnings of a dash panel.  I intend to complete the box, fiberglass it and give it a complete coat of Awlgrip just like the cargo lid that it will attach to.  I would like to have a completely sealed unit by the end of the week.  It is all coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment