Monday, February 13, 2012

Modifications and Panel Completion

Chilly weather this past weekend made good project weather.  I had two primary projects that I have been looking forward to completing, the dash panel and modifications to the 48 volt charging system.

Charging Modifications

When I first installed the 48 volt charging system, I made use of a 12vDC -120vAC inverter that I have had on a shelf in my shop.  This inverter served us very well for years, installed on our boat but in the WattCycle I was getting poor results.  I would find that the 48 volt charging system would only trickle charge the batteries when plugged into the inverter but operated fine when plugged into utility power.  The reason, the sine wave output that was produced by the inverter.

Inverters - Modified Sine Wave or Pure Sine Wave
An electrical sine wave is the repetitive oscillation of voltage from negative to positive and from positive to negative.  This sine wave or oscillation makes our common AC electrical work.  An inverter can either make a pure or modified sine wave depending on the technology incorporated.

Modified sine wave
The output of a modified sine wave inverter is similar to a square wave output except that the output goes to zero volts for a time before switching positive or negative. It is simple, low cost and is compatible with most electronic devices, except for sensitive or specialized equipment.  Most AC motors will run off this power source albeit at a reduction in efficiency of approximately 20%.

Pure sine wave
A pure sine wave inverter produces a nearly perfect sine wave output (less than 3% total harmonic distortion) that is essentially the same as utility-supplied grid power. Thus it is compatible with all AC electronic devices. Its design is more complex, and costs more per unit of power.

The inverter I first installed was a modified sine wave inverter that powered up a coffee maker, charged cell phones and even operated a microwave but it was clueless when it comes to a 48 volt smart charger.  I upgraded to a pure sine wave inverter and now my 48 volt battery pack gets full power whenever I need it. 

Dash Completion

Cutting, drilling, fairing and sanding followed by priming, sanding and painting.  The dash needed completion to finish off my project and also protect everything that I have assembled.  Now that all the dash parts are put into place and the finish is applied, the project is taking on a completed look.  I wired the last switching circuit for the next project, lighting.  I now realize that I forgot one valuable option...cup holders!


2 comments:

  1. LOL you definitely need cup holders! For lighting check out these guys - www.ebikes.ca/lights They have a range of lights that run straight off the motor battery regardless of the voltage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aaron! I will check them out today.

    ReplyDelete